Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Three Little Pigs



Last week my son was in a school play. He had joined an after school theater program. He was so excited when he came home from the first meeting. My son proudly announced to me that he was going to be in a school play in front of the whole school. Practice was once a week and finally one day a script came home. Patrick was playing Little Pig 1 in the Three Little Pigs.

The play was a bit different than the Three Little Pig story most of us know. The Big Bad Wolf in this story was trying to bake his grandma a cake and ran out of eggs. He went to the Little Pig's houses to borrow eggs. So basically it was a big misunderstanding. Patrick's character was a little on the lazy side, and just built his house out of sticks to save time. Hmmm.

Patrick and I practiced his lines every night. He knew them with no problems. I could feed him a line from anywhere in the play and he could recite his line from memory. I couldn't wait to see the play. I knew he would perform wonderfully. The day was getting closer and sadly I had a conflict.

I was asked to start observing in a classroom on the same morning as the play. I knew it would be bad form to call off for the first morning, even if it was to see my son perform in a play. I had to miss it. Luckily all his grandparents, Dennis and Brianna went to the first performance and Patrick was wonderful I hear.

All the characters read from the scripts, I was a little disappointed when I heard that. Why had we practiced for so long if they were going to use their scripts. In my heart I knew Patrick didn't need it, even if he used it. I heard from multiple sources that Patrick was loud enough for the audience to hear him with no problems. This made his grandparents very proud.

After the play he had a chance to mingle with the audience and he was thrilled to have so many family members there. My father shook his hand and told him that he was a wonderful actor.



It broke my heart that I couldn't be there to watch my son on stage. I am so proud of him.

No comments: